business SEO Basics

terryse

Since I can't afford yet to hire a SEO expert, i had to optimized my blogs myself and learn while doing SEO basics. Basically, I have learned to do keyword research first to know if there are people looking for my niche. We need also to evaluate how much competition a keyword phrase has and how strong it is before even optimizing them for the search engines for the readers to locate them.

polgara

I worry very little about SEO. I believe if you write well and your content is useful and engaging, then the search engines will pick up on that. The key thing, particularly with blogs, is to not rely on organic traffic alone, especially at first. Gather your audience from other sources, such as social media, and post stuff that you audience wants to read.

jonjonscove

Thanks for the information, I will check back upon developing my site, to make sure that I implement all the advice that you have suggested.

Sparkster

I worry very little about SEO. I believe if you write well and your content is useful and engaging, then the search engines will pick up on that. The key thing, particularly with blogs, is to not rely on organic traffic alone, especially at first. Gather your audience from other sources, such as social media, and post stuff that you audience wants to read.
Yep, I agree with this. If you consciously focus too much on SEO when producing your content, you may end up guilty of black hat-SEO tactics such as keyword stuffing. It's fast becoming more about unique, original content which is rich and informative and is supplemented with plenty of media (images, videos, etc). As suggested, it's also good to build an audience first before focusing on SEO.

bcsal

• Submit your links around the web to gain even more content relevant back links. Once Google decides that you’re an authority source for the keyword’s you’re attempting to rank for, they’ll move you higher in the search results, and your traffic should increase.
  • Make sure your site/page title, meta description, meta keywords all match the content on your page. Keep your meta descriptions to 140 characters, titles 70 characters, and I think keywords can be whatever. But again, do NOT overkill it and do not use words that are not relevant. Your site will look like major spam and you’ll risk having a penalty applied to your domain. In fact, don't even use meta keywords or meta descriptions. You should have enough text on your site that search engines pick up the important and relevant content and create their own descriptions. And no one has used meta keywords for like the last ten years. Those were always stupid and people filled them with tons of nonsense.
Thanks for the extensive list on SEO Basics.

I often wondered, if I inserted links in my website, how links would help my ranking. Maybe this is why I run across some sites that do not ask you to link their content; such as images, to their site?

When it comes to meta descriptions, etc I use the Yoast plugin for WordPress. Now, I can double-check I've covered all of the bases easily. It lets me know where I lack in areas and where I am okay.

What I like best about this plugin is my ability to fine tune my meta descriptions with my own content and include any wanted keywords. I would rather be in control in this area, then let it get automatically filled, just my preference.

serveyoursite

Thanks for the information it’s really interesting how many ways and methods exist to improve SEO. I personally work for a hosting company and improving our SEO is very important so I appreciate your post.

stillsmallworld

I agree with you on all points. Content matters, as well as frequency of posting. If you are super infrequent, people won't come back for more. We have struggled with this ourselves, but have come to the conclusion that we simply need to schedule posts for the future. I especially like point number 12 - a site that doesn't suck!