business How To Make A Blog

Frank

Staff member
Frank submitted a new Article:

How To Make A Blog

A lot of people would love to have their own blog but they’re not sure how to set it up. Lot’s of people have lots to say about lots of topics, and we live in a generation where everything is online. So why not help those people put their thoughts, words, and opinions online?

How to make a blog
  1. Chose a niche. Your niche is your topic. Your topic must be something you’re highly interested in, participate in, or spend a lot of time involved in. You must be...
Read more about this article here...

Last edited:

BeautifulAngel

Very helpful and knowledgeable article. Thank you very much for posting this. Lot's of people want to start a blog but aren't sure what their blog should be about or even how to start a blog and set up.

I really like how detailed it is and how it's step by step.

Again, this is is very helpful for those who've never had a blog before and don't know how to start a blog.

Very well done!

terryse

I have created my first four blogs hosted free by Blogger. It's a learning experience tweaking and designing my blogs. Later when i become an affiliate marketer, i tried what seasoned marketers advised, to buy your own domain name instead of hosting your blogs in a free platform.

Sparkster

I have created my first four blogs hosted free by Blogger. It's a learning experience tweaking and designing my blogs. Later when i become an affiliate marketer, i tried what seasoned marketers advised, to buy your own domain name instead of hosting your blogs in a free platform.
Well, of course, you can still have your blog hosted on a free service and still have your own domain name. You just simply point the domain name to the relevant nameservers or you can redirect the URL to the URL of your hosted free blog. I have heard that some people use Blogger but instead of making blog posts, they make pages and use them as the pages of their website. It's not something I've ever done myself but it seems like an interesting idea. Not sure how well that would go though.

bcsal

I agree. These free platforms like Blogger and WordPress are good starting points for those with no experience. Of course, Drastic did a great job explaining the steps. It just might be overwhelming for the first time blogger. As Androl pointed out, you can still use this free blog in connection with a paid domain name. Some people, like my mother, simply paid WordPress for her domain name. This allowed her to continue the free hosting service and took away outside ads posted on her site. I choice to go the routes explained above by Drastic. It was a bit of a learning curve and time consuming to learn these extra steps; nevertheless, I have more options available; such as, plugins. I kept my original free WordPress up and running with just a front-page. I just followed Androl's steps and directed viewers to my new blog.

OhioTom76

One additional thing I would strongly suggest after installing Wordpress and whatever themes and plugins you like, is once you get everything set up and ready to launch, do a backup of your site with one of the more reputable Wordpress backup plugins, and get into the habit of doing additional backups any time you are making any big changes to your site, or even if it's simply been a while since you've last backed up. There is nothing worse than your site getting hacked, or damaged from a bad plugin, or corrupted in some way and you have no way of restoring it back to normal.

I have a web site I am building now in Wordpress which I planned on having thousands of product pages on. So I was trying out some different bulk importing plugins, as a means of adding all those pages at once, but I ultimately found out many of these bulk import plugins don't come with adequate documentation, which resulted in me making some mistakes and publishing thousands of pages under the wrong category, or worse yet, the plugin would crash half way through importing and the data was all screwed up.

MyDigitalpoint

DP Mystique
WordPress is really the most widely-use blog publishing platform, probably followed by the web-based Blogspot, but I don't see why you should start blogging using these.

I mean, you can do it, but you may also try one of the hundreds of different self-hosted blogging platforms available on the web. WordPress is easy to use and expand, but not all novice bloggers understand it, and many of them will not ever use any plugin at all.

For these kind of users, a very basic blogging platform could be a better choice and, once they earn blogging experience, moving to WordPress will be a seamless transition.

fcuco

I am really interested in starting my own blog, but I would love to do it without any initial investment, beyond, well, the time that I would have to invest in creating reasonably good content.

The problem with this is that both domain names and hosting are recurrent costs right out of the bat and I don't even know how long or whatever I will ever break even.

So I went ahead and used the blogger platform from Google, technically free hosting, no domain name though, but I did not believed that to be important, until I realized that you can't start using AdSense right away, your blog has to comply with a series of prerequisites before they let you activate it, and one of those things appears to be your own domain name.

I guess you have to believe in your idea and be willing to put some money upfront before you can begin to monetize any blog online.

Frank

Staff member
Domains are $8-10 per year. People spend that on a single fancy drink on a night out.

I run a blog but I still have issues making it a lucrative venture. Any tips on how to run a blog with multiple topics instead of one niche?

heidi67

I'm pretty new to blogging and didn't want to pay for self-hosting. I chose Blogger to start with knowing I will probably switch to Wordpress at some point. Having a niche is important but you can also write about other topics so long as they point back to your niche in some way.

ZCM

Ive been meaning to blog motorcycle trips for years now. I have all the back material such as photos etc, but have never blogged about it.
Do you think it matters or looks bad if you start a blog with past experiences before you start working with current experiences?
Also, what is the minimum blog updates you should normally do to keep your followers engaged.
I dont always have moto trips, so maybe i would need to be blogging about other moto-related interesting things..?

heidi67

No, I don't think it's bad to blog about past trips you've taken. As long as a post offers value. You should post at least three times a week to keep people interested and visiting your site. It also helps to make them the same three days, so your readers know when new articles appear.

swalia

A very helpful post! I recently shifted my free wordpress blog to an independent website. Free wordpress blog doesn't offer the use of ads or affiliate programs. I am in the process of updating and shifting the entire blog content to my new website.