business How To Increase Activity At Your Forum

Frank

Staff member
One way I've increased readership at my other forums is to 1) present current content that people want to talk about, and 2) offer an opinion and request a response.

Ending an article with a "that's what I think" tone gets less replies than ending with "what do you think?"

Provoke thought with a question and hope for a reply.

What are your methods to increasing member activity at your forums?

andrewbr

What I've been trying to do is generate content that is very informative but that is also slightly controversial. For example I wrote a piece on vaccinating pets which has a ton of great information for pet owners, but also brings in discussion from people who don't believe in vaccination. Using a topic that has two sides to it seems to be a good way to generate meaningful discussion. This is my current and most successful strategy.

kdog

What I've been trying to do is generate content that is very informative but that is also slightly controversial. For example I wrote a piece on vaccinating pets which has a ton of great information for pet owners, but also brings in discussion from people who don't believe in vaccination. Using a topic that has two sides to it seems to be a good way to generate meaningful discussion. This is my current and most successful strategy.
I follow Jean Dodds recommendations for shots. So link to your post?

andrewbr

Hi kdog, I'd be happy to share that with you. I reviewed Dr. Dodds' vaccine protocol and largely agree with it! I didn't give quite as much detail regarding frequency of vaccination or specific manufacturer, but I would be completely comfortable with a pet owner asking me to follow Dodds' protocol.

Here is the link to the article, I'd love your feedback:
http://www.thepetpulse.com/2014/08/21/you-call-the-shots/

The design should be appealing but more than that, the content should be interesting. Your tip on provoking users to discuss is also very important as people will discuss more if they are "asked to". Friendly administration is another important point too, in my opinion.

terryse

Like what i did in promoting my blog, i applied extra search engine optimization steps to invite new members for my forum. I find Social bookmarking sites such as Digg and networking sites such as Facebook a good strategy in promoting my forum.

bcsal

One way I've increased readership at my other forums is to 1) present current content that people want to talk about, and 2) offer an opinion and request a response.

Ending an article with a "that's what I think" tone gets less replies than ending with "what do you think?"

Provoke thought with a question and hope for a reply.

What are your methods to increasing member activity at your forums?
I do not have a forum, yet. I am in the process of considering this possibility. As a new member to this forum, I appreciate how you, as the Administer, are visible to visitors and members to SiteRockers by posting current content. Sometimes, we, all as webmasters and bloggers, can get side-tracked with gaining a reputation as an expert on a subject for Goggle and other search engines, then forget about the very people that we want to attract to our site. Even though, I have just joined this forum, it is evident that you, as an administrator, does not just talk the talk, but walks the walk. You have successfully gained my confidence and trust; therefore, I will continue participating here at this forum. I know relevant, fresh, content is posted from a knowledgeable source.