business Do you like flat designs?

Are you a fan of flat designs? They're clearly trending at the moment and I personally think it's beautiful and appealing, though, if every single website starts using it just because it's trending, it'll get overused, overseen and boring.

What are your thoughts on flat designs?

dbell403

I think they look great, and are very fitting for many types of sites.

Iagree that they're already overused. When flat designs are unique, well done, and have a good color scheme, they are attractive. However, the problem with flat designs is they become too flat, boring, and uninteresting.

A website that naturally has a serious and bland tone, for instance, an attorney or accountant's site, should not be further dulled down by a flat design. Those sites need the extra lift. Flat designs should be implemented for more creative and expressive content, but not for anything that is already rather plain.

Somewhere in between, is the perfect balance of plain and dynamically visual design. Either way, if it's simple, it probably works.
You're right @Ricardo187, flat designs are taking over!

Frank

Staff member
I can't believe we didn't think about the KISS method years ago. I guess once the bevel and shadow feature was an option, everyone went a bit design crazy for years.

These simple sites look so good.

jonjonscove

I have never heard of flat designs before, but I will definatey look into it tonight and get back to you with my opinion on it. Thanks for the heads up.

digitalsatori

I love the flat designs and the minimalist direction web design is going these days. There was a time where the style was to cram as much information as you could on your front page. I am so thankful that is going away and moving towards vertical scrolling.

This is a wonderful time to be a web designer! :D

OhioTom76

I believe the push toward flat designs isn't purely an aesthetic choice, but rather a more practical choice as site design becomes far more complex with the need for responsiveness. The traditional web designs from a few years ago, with lots of bevels and shadows and image based effects don't adapt well to newer high resolution screens and responsive layouts. These days, you need to serve images at multiple resolutions, which makes things a lot more complex. In addition, the way image based effects were piece-mealed together with very specific dimensions being set for each piece, doesn't work with percentage based fluid layouts. Back then, designs were at a fixed resolution and a fixed width.

Now there is a push towards using CSS in place of image based effects, now that it's more widely supported. As such, there are only so many "Photoshop-esque" effects that you can create with CSS. In addition, some CSS effects, such as shadows, can be rather resource intense and slow things down if used too much. Flat designs are just much more convenient in many ways, since you're not dealing with static images, image seams, tiled images, and such. They also open the door to working with more SVG based graphical elements, which too, are "flat".

MyDigitalpoint

DP Mystique
I have used flat designs since before they were trendy, trying to minimize at most the use of graphics.

Today with CCS3, jQuery and Bootstrap there is no way to get a boring flat design as you can add animations, graphics, cool buttons, effects and more, but all of them without graphics, just pure CSS.

Flat designs load faster and are a must in search engine optimization.

fcuco

The only flat design that I dislike is windows' metro, I simply don't like those icons. I strongly believe that if you are going to go with flat designs for your icons you should at least give them some color the way Apple does it so they look a little less dead. It is also more usable since the human eye is better catching color differences than catching differences in shapes, so, if your icons have the right amount of color they are easy to distinguish from one another.