business Choosing Colors For Your Website

Frank

Staff member
Did you know there's a psychological thought process behind the colors chosen during web design planning and process? You didn't think companies chose a color scheme based on how cool it looks, did you? Some might...but if they did, they might want to use these color guides to help them optimize their site for better results.

They probably used a little bit of color psychology when picking out their color scheme.

Did you know that certain colored buttons statistically get more clicks? Of course, different websites will always have different results. It's a matter of testing different options and letting your users dictate the results, then optimizing your site to increase conversions and readership. This is called color psychology and it can often work wonders.

Did you know that Facebook is blue because blue is the one color that both males and females enjoy and it pertains to trust? So what better color for a social network, then a trusting color liked both men and women. Then again, some people don't like Facebook, but hey - no one said you have to!

View attachment 78
Very Well - While perceptions of color are somewhat subjective, there are some color effects that have universal meaning. Colors in the red area of the color spectrum are known as warm colors and include red, orange and yellow.

These warm colors evoke emotions ranging from feelings of warmth and comfort to feelings of anger and hostility.

Colors on the blue side of the spectrum are known as cool colors and include blue, purple and green. These colors are often described as calm, but can also call to mind feelings of sadness or indifference.
Will you use a bit of color psychology when you design your next website or pick out colors for one?

I hope so.

Last edited by a moderator:

terryse

When i choose a theme and background for my blogs, i prefer the lighter colors so the text and the ads which i prefer to be bolder and darker than the background, would blend with the overall design of my blog.

bcsal

Did you know there's a psychological thought process behind the colors chosen during web design planning and process? You didn't think companies chose a color scheme based on how cool it looks, did you? Some might...but if they did, they might want to use these color guides to help them optimize their site for better results.

Did you know that certain colored buttons statistically get more clicks? Of course, different websites will always have different results. It's a matter of testing different options and letting your users dictate the results, then optimizing your site to increase conversions and readership.

Did you know that Facebook is blue because blue is the one color that both males and females enjoy and it pertains to trust? So what better color for a social network, then a trusting color liked both men and women. Then again, some people don't like Facebook, but hey - no one said you have to!

The picture above can help you chose button colors. The picture below can help you chose a starting color to work your color scheme around. It also shows some popular company logos. Quite awesome to see which companies chose certain colors.

I have heard about the psychology behind color choices. As a new member, I think your site has a smoothness to it. Bravo on your color choices. A little off topic, but might be helpful for those building a blog or website for a male audience. In the summer, I work at my parents flower farm and at the farmers market. For fun, we will make up a few bouquets that are yellow and red. Sure enough, the men come swooping in and drawn to this color scheme.

OhioTom76

Although there are a plethora of color palette tools out there, Adobe's own Adobe Color CC (formerly Adobe Kuler), the color palettes they suggest are not necessarily the final set of colors you should be using. They are simply derived from various color harmony theories, and are often too similar in terms of saturation and brightness. They're a starting point, but ideally you should build out various tints and shades from these colors - for a more subtle and less garish color scheme. It will also help improve the contrast of your site, making it easier to read. I usually work with some really pale tints based off the initial color scheme, paired with some dark shades of the other remaining colors, and a few bright versions of the colors for some pop - kind of like an accent color.

Another method you can use, is to pull a color pallet from an image, which Adobe Color CC can do as well. This works out really well if there is some prominent image you plan on using on your site, as it makes everything look more cohesive when the color palette of your site matches up with it.

One of the easiest methods though of finding good color schemes, is to simply steal them from design sites. There are many design marketplaces out there selling various themes, layout templates, logo templates. etc... You can easily just save the preview images and pull them into a program such as Photoshop, and use the eyedropper tool to copy the color scheme into your own palette. There are even Chrome extensions that can get you the color HEX codes right from a web page itself.

tlspiegel

Don't use the following color combinations, which are hard for color blind people:
Green and Red; Green and Brown; Blue and Purple; Green and Blue; Light Green and Yellow; Blue and Grey; Green and Grey; Green and Black

For my sites I choose a white or nearly white background color and black text.

fcuco

I disagree with the green and black combination being bad for the eyes, specially bright light green text on a black background, that goes pretty easy on the eyes, just look at those old computer text only terminals, they always were green on black or white on black with the green ones being more common. The green has to be very bright though, because a very dark green on a black background is unbearable.