business Blogging Full-Tiine

Sparkster

Has anyone been able to make a successful full-time business from blogging? Personally, I've been doing this for seven years now and whilst I do make a regular income from it which helps out a lot, I am nowhere near making a full-time living from it and I don't imagine that I will ever be able to. I could blog full-time and generate reasonably large amounts of traffic and I have a huge network of hundreds of thousands of people to promote those posts to, but even if I blogged full-time (between eight to ten hours a day), I still wouldn't make anywhere near as much money as I would from a job. Has anyone else out there been able to make blogging a full-time thing? If so, how long did it take and how active are you?

fcuco

I would say that bloggin is like the movies: it is a hit based industry, while the vast majority of productions (or blogs) struggle for a piece of the pie you have a few huge players like some of these famous fashion bloggers, that capture all the traffic and not only can make a living out of bloggin, but actually become very wealthy.

Frank

Staff member
You have to slowly work into it. When you generate enough income to make the jump, and be able to work on it full time without putting yourself into too much debt from any loss of wages, then you should be good to go.

It took me about a year to build up to enough income worth leaving my old job.

There's a LOT of perks to this, such as waking up whenever you want, but if you work from home - alone, you'll find yourself out to lunch almost every day just to experience normal people.

Gets boring waking up and going to your living room and not having any real interaction with people, so I went out to lunch a lot!

Marsan

It takes what feels like forever and turns into a new kind of monster. Like Frank mentioned, you'll end up spending a lot of time sorta isolated. Still, it is pretty gosh darn awesome being able to set your own rules and feel a sense of accomplishment. There's a true feeling of ownership involved, even if it takes months or years.

For me it'll be nearly 5 months soon and well, I'm still getting there.

swalia

I have been blogging for three years but it was a hobby for me. I never thought of monetizing it. It's only recently that I am taking it seriously as an alternate source of income. I have turned my blogs into independent websites but to make a decent regular income from the blogs look like a distant dream at the moment.

Frank

Staff member
I have been blogging for three years but it was a hobby for me. I never thought of monetizing it. It's only recently that I am taking it seriously as an alternate source of income. I have turned my blogs into independent websites but to make a decent regular income from the blogs look like a distant dream at the moment.
You should definitely monetize it. What if it generates more than your normal job? :)