business Blog Name Showing In Serps

Sparkster

I have noticed that the name of my blog which, as a writer is my pen name, is showing up in search engine results pages before the titles of my posts. E.g. Blog Name (my pen name): Title of post. I was just wondering if this is beneficial at all? Should I leave it as it is or would it perhaps be of more benefit to edit the HTML so that the SERPS only show the titles of posts and not the name of the blog before each one? Anyone?

OhioTom76

If you are running off of Wordpress, it sounds like what is happening is the link to your username on your blog is being indexed. In other words, if you've got a Wordpress site with multiple authors, the typical layout will show the authors name beside their post somewhere, as a clickable link which when clicked will take you to a list of all the posts they've made on the site. Google has likely indexed that link specifically and is showing all those individually generated author-specific pages that Wordpress has churned out in their search results.

You can actually tell Google to not index certain URLs on your site to avoid confusion and potential duplicate content issues. You may want to consider telling them not to index any URLs to specific authors (or perhaps leave it be if those pages are ranking better for some reason,). I've also seen people commonly tell Google via Google Webmaster Tools to not index their Category ot Tag links, to prevent any duplicate content issues.

Sparkster

If you are running off of Wordpress, it sounds like what is happening is the link to your username on your blog is being indexed. In other words, if you've got a Wordpress site with multiple authors, the typical layout will show the authors name beside their post somewhere, as a clickable link which when clicked will take you to a list of all the posts they've made on the site. Google has likely indexed that link specifically and is showing all those individually generated author-specific pages that Wordpress has churned out in their search results.

You can actually tell Google to not index certain URLs on your site to avoid confusion and potential duplicate content issues. You may want to consider telling them not to index any URLs to specific authors (or perhaps leave it be if those pages are ranking better for some reason,). I've also seen people commonly tell Google via Google Webmaster Tools to not index their Category ot Tag links, to prevent any duplicate content issues.
This doesn't seem to be what's causing the problem. I'm using Blogger, not Wordpress and I have deactivated my profile so my username doesn't have a link, it's not clickable. Additionally, my username (which would link to my profile if active) is slightly different to my blog name (my pen name/pseudonymm). I have been told that Blogger now do this by default with all blogs but it never happened on any of my older blogs. I was just wondering if there was any particular reason why and if it's beneficial or not?

MyDigitalpoint

DP Mystique
I have never understood at all how Blogger indexes all, and being a Google product, it should be expected a better performance when it comes to both SEO and SERPs

About if this is beneficial or not, there are mixed points of views on this matter. What I should suggest is trying to get feedback from actual Blogger users, perhaps several members here have already a blog hosted with Google too that may like to share their own experience.