business Anyone Running A Social Networking Site?

MyDigitalpoint

DP Mystique
There is no doubt that social networking sites are really popular and, not long ago, it was possible to find scripts to mimic Facebook, Twitter or MySpace websites. Even there was a Yahoo Answers Clone, though Yahoo Answers is not exactly a social network but a community collaborative environment.

The fact is that nowadays there are open source and paid scripts to run your own social network and, if any of you have tried any of these, I would like to hear your experience.

I have tried twice or three times to run my own, mostly using Elgg, but I can't get people engaging in any of the multiple activities available for this social network.

Would it be that people can only interact on Facebook? Why of the low response to join other social network?

Frank

Staff member
I tried out phpfox script, but it was pretty bad. all the modules were halfway done and worked backwards.

MyDigitalpoint

DP Mystique
That's another problem, not finding a good social networking script that fulfills our own expectations, much less those in people's mind.

I found another script that liked me to run as social network, PeoplePods, but similarly, is half-done and while has the basic functions to get you starting, it might require extra modules, but it seems to me this script is not longer developed.

Another good one I tries is JCow, but problem with this is be prone to receive loads of spam hits and registrations, besides needing paid modules and license to get it running as it should be.

Frank

Staff member
You seem to know a lot about these scripts and such. If you ever want to discuss working on sites together, let me know!

MyDigitalpoint

DP Mystique
Thank you Drastic!

Precisely I'm reviewing a new social networking open source script that resembles in much the look and feel of Facebook but without the cluttering that FB actually has.

Let me complete the testing and I will pm you so we can discuss on working together carrying out this or a similar project.

Sounds like a good plan :D

sixxup

I think you pay on elgg to manage your social media. I am trying to get a trusted script to run a site like Facebook but of my own taste. I have a domain name for that purpose. Nowadays there are even softwares like Oxwall that can help you come up with one. Or you can pay somebody to design for you a site of your choice.

MyDigitalpoint

DP Mystique
I had some troubles running Elgg in the past because I do too much testing on localhost, then when uploading to a production environment, everything was broken and hard to fix.

As noted above, I found a good script that looks much like Facebook does, but I can't solve an Ajax/jQuery problem happening with it.

Sometimes when deleting a post, befriending someone or doing another action, there is an Ajax-loading routine that is on and on without stopping, and therefore those actions are not done.

Such script is this; http://codecanyon.net/item/php-social-network-platform/3740004