business ad buying tips – don’t mess up

Frank

Staff member
This is where I majorly screwed up as a webmaster. I had 350,000 free hits per day from Google, and I couldn’t live with that alone. I became greedy and started advertising my site like crazy. I bought almost every ad I could find. I was spending about $500 per day (yes, $15,000 per month) to gain an additional 100,000 hits per day. I was up to 350,000-400,000 hits per day, loving it, blasting over a million impressions to my CPM sponsors, crushing it with sales, and blowing trades out of the water for a while.

It was awesome until I realized that I wasn’t monetizing properly with my advertisements. I was actually losing money. I bought ads from some sites that ended up providing me with low quality traffic. I’m talking about traffic from non converting countries, traffic with little to no additional page views, and traffic with awful productivity.

This was a huge mistake that caused me to lose money.

What you need to do is only buy ads from sites that you can clearly find within the first three pages of Google Search Results. If you see that a site is a “P90X” site, and they have “P90X videos” in the meta fields and on the site, then your job is to search “P90X videos” on Google. If they don’t appear within the first few pages, then don’t bother buying an ad from them. Why not? Because if they don’t rank on Google for the keywords of the content that they’re posting, then you don’t want their traffic anyway. Search engine traffic is the best you can get to your website, so buying ads on a site that doesn’t get any search engine traffic means you’re going to be paying top dollar for second rate traffic.

If you search “P90X videos” and their site appears on the first few pages, then you can buy from them with some confidence because you know that they have quality surfers at their site.

I didn’t research the sources I was buying ads from and I learned the hard way by losing a few thousand dollars on terrible investments. I was just too excited to be seeing this much traffic and income that nothing else mattered.

I was young and dumb, but at least I learned and I can pass this information to you:
  1. buy ads on relevant site that you can locate in the top few pages of search results.
  2. Don’t buy ads from irrelevant sites. For example, don’t advertise a “fruit salad” site on a site that promotes “mouthwash” – it makes no sense and will be an epic fail!
  3. After the first day of your traffic, check your Google Analytics to ensure the statistics. Check the country of origin, time on site, page views, bounce rate, etc. Any implication that the traffic is bad, then cancel the purchase right away. Most places will let you sample the traffic, but check it daily to ensure it’s high quality traffic.
Bottom line - monetize, optimize, monetize, optimize, and don't get greedy and number hungry. Make sure your purchase always brings a profit.

Last edited by a moderator:

bcsal

This is where I majorly screwed up as a webmaster. I had 350,000 free hits per day from Google, and I couldn’t live with that alone. I became greedy and started advertising my site like crazy. I bought almost every ad I could find. I was spending about $500 per day (yes, $15,000 per month) to gain an additional 100,000 hits per day. I was up to 350,000-400,000 hits per day, loving it, blasting over a million impressions to my CPM sponsors, crushing it with sales, and blowing trades out of the water for a while.
Wow! I am impressed at your numbers.

I have never brought ads from a site; however, I will file away your words of advice. What resonated with me, seems like common sense; nevertheless could be easily over-looked. I am referring to only purchasing from sites that show up in the first few pages of my search results on a particular subject.

Sometimes, I see ads for content that has no correlation to the topic of the site. It throws me off and screams affiliate marketing. On the other hand, if I see an ad that is relevant, I feel like the author is merely trying to point me in the right direction on the subject matter.

Coder

The numbers involved are incredible.
I'm always suprised how people just know how to succeed with things like this. The other impressive thing is those guys that make a point with how to SEO, makes a new site and gets to the first page of Google in days. Do you think money is involved or just knowhow?